BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Today I am Thankful for Laurels





















I have two Laurels to be thankful for today! The first is my friend, Laurel Kimball, and the second is the Texas Mountain Laurels.

Laurel Simmons Kimball and I were first friends about twenty years ago. Our mothers were friends, and we were both home schooled, along with our brothers and sisters, so we used to all get together fairly regularly. Laurel was actually closer to my sister, Heather, because they were closer in age. (As I write this, I realize they are both named after purple flowers!) A few months ago Laurel and I became "friends" on Facebook, but we have grown into Friends. Although we don't get to see each other often, since she lives in North Texas, we communicate almost daily through email and Facebook. She has become a wonderful inspiration to me, both as a mother and as a person. Laurel is the most positive, insightful person I know and I am so thankful that she is my friend.

I am also thankful today for the Texas Mountain Laurel, my favorite tree! These beautiful, fragrant trees bloom for just a few weeks every spring and make me so happy. The blooms are so pretty, hanging in their purple bunches like grapes. They also smell like grape Koolaid, and the scent is intoxicating! Luckily, there are several of these trees right out side my building at work. Every day I pluck a bloom off of the tree and bring it into my cubical. The scent stays all day and consistently brightens my state of mind. Although I'm not fond of the bees that flock to the trees, they keep to themselves and don't seem to mind me sticking my nose into their business. Now the Monarch Butterflies have hatched and the trees are made that much more beautiful by their presence.

Two purple flowers. Two things that always brighten my day. Thank you, God, for Laurels!

0 comments: