BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, March 29, 2010

Today I am Thankful that I'm Getting my Masters Degree.


Well, it has been a hard road. I started working on my Masters Degree in Literature at Texas State in 2004. I got in a good 6 hours before I found out I was pregnant and then another 9 before Mackenzie was born. That second semester was killer. I was working three jobs, taking 9 hours and was pregnant. I don't know how I did it. Tenacity, I guess.

So then my baby was born, and I took a couple of years off. I went back in the Fall of 2007, but toward the end of the semester my marriage was ending and I had an early midlife crisis. My professors were kind enough to give me Incompletes. It took me almost a year to get my life together and finish up those Incompletes.

So now I only have 3 hours, or one class, left. After that I write my thesis, take the comprehensive exams, and graduate!
Today I registered for that last class, and I am so excited! It's not going to be easy, that's for sure. The class starts June 7th and meets every Monday and Wednesday night through July 8th from 5:30-10pm. I'll be taking a medieval topics course on Chaucer. Now, I'm not crazy about Chaucer, but who I am crazy about is the professor teaching the course. Dr. Morrison can make any subject lively and fun, and I feel so blessed to have her as my last professor.

My student loan money came through, so that part is taken care of (for now anyway) and my husband is behind me 100%. As I said in a previous blog, my parents have always encouraged and supported me in my education, and I never could have done this without them and their love.

There were many times over the last six years that I almost gave up on my degree. I was scared, overwhelmed, frustrated, etc. But now that I'm registered for that last class, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I know that I will finish and I will graduate with that 4.0 I've been so protective of.
Thank you, God, that I've stuck with it and that this time next year I'll be gearing up for graduation!