BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Today I am Thankful for my American Citizenship



Our government, is in my opinion, a complete wreck. Don't worry, I'm not going to go into a diatribe on politics, I don't have the time or the inclination this afternoon. However, at lunch today, outside of the Texas Union here on campus, there was a presentation going on about immigration reform. It got me thinking about how blessed I am to be an American. Despite how angry I get at politics and politicians, and despite the flaws in our system, this is a wonderful country.

We are free in so many ways that other citizens of the world are not. I can freely practice my religion and share it with others! I can express myself! Even when I feel like our family is lacking and broke, we still have food in our bellies, a roof over our heads, and clothes on our backs. We are safe from oppression, and the things that we need to worry about are a fraction of those in other countries. We have clean water and hot water piped directly into our houses. Our streets are clean.

The other great thing about America is Americans. Our country has a huge heart. We are depicted across the world as cruel or ruthless because of our involvement in the recent wars, but without going into all of that---America is filled with loving and kind people. Our country is such that it engenders creativity, inventiveness, and passion.

I could go on and on, but what I'm trying to say is that I know that I am extremely blessed to have been born and raised in this country. I think the Republican party sucks. I think the Democratic party sucks worse. But I think America is wonderful, because I can say those things freely! As long as there is freedom, there is hope that someday there will be a political party that doesn't suck quite so hard.

(How's that for eloquence? )

Thank you, God, that I am an American.

0 comments: