BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Today I am Thankful for my Church


"If Jesus had thought the kingdom could be built through law, legalism and fundamentalism, He would have worked with the Pharisees rather than calling disciples." --David Currie


I have been a christian since I was five years old, and throughout the years I have had the opportunity to visit a variety of different churches, each evoking a different emotion within me. I've felt sadness, sitting with a handful of very elderly people in mostly empty, dying Methodist church. I've felt like an insignificant dust mote in an evangelical Mega-church. I've felt awe and wonder at a mass delivered in French and Latin at the largest Gothic cathedral in Europe.


These are only a few examples.

I am now a member of The City Community Church, and for the first time I feel....at home.

When we moved to Austin I dreaded looking for a church. My last church experience had been one that ended in great pain, and so it was with a guarded heart that I decided to begin the search. I stalled and stalled. On top of my own baggage, I was nervous about visiting unknown churches. My husband, James, was a "baby christian". What if we visited the wrong one and he was turned off from the whole Christ thing all together? As usual, God was way ahead of me. We didn't have to go on a great church hunt, God delivered one to us through the evening news.



We don't watch the news very often. I tend to get my news during the day through the internet, but for some reason, one night last July we had the news on and a story came on about a new church in Austin that met in LaZona Rosa (at the time) and let people bring their dogs to church! My first thought was, "Well, if they meet in a bar and let dogs come, they can't be legalistic." James was interested too and we visited the next Sunday. We've been there almost every Sunday since.

On that first Sunday, the thing that instantly stuck me was that the people we met were friendly and warm and welcoming, but not in the artificial way I had always experienced before when visiting a new church. They genuinely seemed interested in us. The environment was casual, and we felt immediately comfortable.

At some point, the pastor, Matthias, came over and met us and asked how we had heard about them. We told him about the news show, and James said, "I figured, Hey, if they accept dogs, they'll accept me too." Later Matthias told us that this simple statement had had a significant impact on him.

I don't remember what the sermon was about that day, but I know that the pastor, Matthias, consistently speaks about God's grace. This is where the sermons always end up. Whatever you are going through, whatever you have done, God's grace covers it. Forgiveness, love, and grace--the elements that I have always believe should be the foundation of our christian lives. The other great thing about the sermons is that Matthias always puts the scriptures we are studying into historical context. Being an Anthropology major, and James being a History buff, we love learning in depth about the culture and events that shaped the Bible.


So now we've been at The City for almost 8 months. Matthias baptized James last summer; we're part of City Teams (I'm in the nursery and James is joining the set up crew); we're in a small group that meets on Wednesday nights; Mackenzie loves children's church and all her City friends; and I feel so exceedingly blessed.

This church has been a breath of fresh air for me. I have not once felt judgment, condemnation, or discomfort. Our new friends have surrounded us with love and have instantly been at our sides when we are in need. Our little church is growing so we've moved to the Austin Music Hall. So although the puppies are no longer a part of our church family, anyone is welcome. It doesn't matter who you are or what you have done, these people welcome you with open arms.

At The City I've found love, support, acceptance, grace, and great friendships. Every Sunday I feel like I'm getting "filled up" and armed to face the week ahead. My relationship with Christ is stronger than ever before, my knowledge and love of the Bible has grown immensely, and I look forward all week to Sunday morning.

So today I am thankful for my Church. Thank you God for leading us there.

________________________________________________________________________________
The City is a non-denominational church that meets in the Austin Music Hall and describes themselves thusly:

"We are a group of Christ-followers gripped by God's love, who want to be a part of a movement in Central/Downtown Austin that leads people to a real relationship with God. We believe loving God should make a difference in the way we live!"


http://www.thecityaustin.com

0 comments: