BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Today I am Thankful For Ms. Helen Eisaman


Recently, on Facebook, Ms. Meadows (a teacher from high school) posted this:

"If you were a student of Helen Eisaman between 1965 and 2006 at Tivy and you would like to send her birthday greetings or have a classroom memory about her please send me a message and I will be sure she gets them on the occasion of her 70th birthday on April 11th. Please send your birthday wishes or comments by April 9th."

I had Ms. Eisaman for Freshman and Senior English at Tivy High School.

Here is the letter I have written and am sending to Ms. Eisaman through Ms. Meadows:


Dear Ms. Eisaman,

Happy 70th Birthday! I hope it is truly a wonderful one. I wanted to take this opportunity to let you know how much you have impacted my life.

I first had you as a teacher for Freshman English in 1992/93. I was a silly little girl and "the elevator didn't always go to the top floor". At first, we didn't like your class. We thought it was, "Soooo hard!" When in truth, we were just so lazy. You taught us how to use the library, which still comes in handy as a grad student, despite the internet. You taught us vocabulary and grammar on a new and challenging level. You spurred us to read (and love) the classics. You taught me how to write a good paper, which is the most critical skill I could possess in higher education.

I had you as a teacher again, my senior year for Dual Enrollment English. If my freshman year you changed me academically, my senior year you changed me emotionally. Senior year was very hard for me. I had been through some traumatic experiences and turned inward. I had gained a lot of weight and lost a bunch of friends. I was insecure and lonely. I felt like you took me by the hand that year, and helped me onto my feet. Through your support, encouragement, and care I found some solid ground to stand on. I started believing in myself again, and I regained confidence that I thought I had lost forever. That year you taught me something that changed my life forever: I AM INTELLIGENT.

Armed with that knowledge and the confidence to back it up, I have excelled in my educational career. This summer I am taking my very last class for my Masters in Literature. So far, I have a 4.0 GPA.

I attribute so much of my success to you, Ms. Eisaman, and the things you taught me both academically and personally. Thank you for challenging me! Thank you for being hard when required and soft when necessary. Thank you for being my teacher and changing my life.

All my love,

Erin Mallory Brownlee


Thank you, God, for sending Ms. Eisaman to me when I needed her most.

0 comments: